AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Local bid broke $7 on July 08 wheat today
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Cowboycorn
Posted 12/1/2007 19:36 (#250620 - in reply to #250584)
Subject: Re: Local bid broke $7 on July 08 wheat today

north central Oklahoma
Jim,

We are almost neighbors. I am prolly about as far south of Caldwell as I think you are west mebee. Well, that's not entirely true, I actually live in Bartlesville, Ok, just 30 minutes north of Tulsa. Came with the wife's transfer after the CONOCO-Phillips merger. Couldn't bring the dirt with me, and too old to find another job, cause the only job old folks can do, SENIORCITZEN already has. Bought an old Honda Silverwing to cruise back and forth the 100 miles and usually spend all week every week at farm, sometimes weekends too, depending on what's going on. Found this forum last winter when we had ice on the ground for six weeks. Glad I did. Had trouble coming up with a screen name,I am not too original, so I figured I was sending most of the fruits of my crops to that Cowboy college down in Stillwater, so I told my son I was picking "cowboycorn" when he came out to visit one weekend during harvest.

I will continue to plant corn, close to 800 acres going out in spring. Rotation kinda got askew this year from the lost corn crop, then all the abandoned wheat on the fields. Actually it was the mud all through July that was a b&%#h in more ways than one. I've got less than 400 acres of wheat out, as that was all I got harvested too, and still had plenty of volunteer, but not as bad as those that replanted back to wheat their abandoned wheat acres. I'll have a couple hundred acres of beans too, but have been planting June beans the last 10 years. Gave up on early beans long time ago. Seems like we only hit 1 year out of 5 that was decent. It just got too hot for pod fill in July more often than not with early planted beans in this part of Oklahoma. Those folks up north that talked up their drought all summer, but still hit 150 bpa corn don't know what a drought is. The drought by itself would not have hurt us had it not been for the incessant 100+ temps and 30 mph and up winds (and I understant that is because Kansas sucks, or so I hear)

Corn goes in a little earlier and seems to mature far enough along to beat that heat or at least still produce a crop in lieu of it. And I like going back to wheat behind corn better than behind milo. I am gonna start planting corn about March 10, and plant when weather permits, and when it gets past about the 25th of April, switch to milo if I have to. I am going with mostly 110 up to 113 day corn. Plant mostly GH as I really like my dealer and until Monsanto screws the pooch with them, will likely stay that way. I am trying some other flavors, some Midland from Wildcat on the forum, some Mark seed from somewhere up north, some Unity seed(local dealer) and I have some Fielder's Choice (oops, did I say that) that I will try.

Haven't planted any "P" in a long time cause I didn't like the high pressure sales pitch (insurance salesman)I got from the dealer'd dad every time I went by there to pick something up, and you might know who I am talking about. My uncle sells DK at Blackwell and I should try that sometime, might find a few boxes this year for a side by side field trial of my own.

Don't think I will plant DC corn again. I think I escaped with my fanny this year. Southern corn rust really took a lot of those Kay county late corn planters for a ride. Some have already picked because the plant died back in October. You wouldn't hear Wildcat say it, but I might try flowers next year behind wheat, He is already harvesting them, and I am a minimum of two weeks on the 96 day stuff, and a month away on the 110 GH, but the GH looks much better.

Supposed to be a mild and warm winter, and if it ain't, I am gonna give Al Gore a personal call and ask him why it keeps getting cold in the winter.

Here's to a good harvest next year,
Cary

Edited by Cowboycorn 12/1/2007 19:41
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)