AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Blubber.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

bduke
Posted 2/16/2008 12:12 (#311174 - in reply to #310966)
Subject: Re: Blubber.

Thought provoking indeed, S.C. The rapid shift to urbanization, globally, will be a main driver in the reallocation of resources, i.e. water, land, labor, Gov't spending, taxes, transportation, etc. Therefore, I would expect the the "buggy whips" to be determined by our democratic process, fair or not. The research spending on drought tolerance may allow the reallocation of water from irrigation pivots to urban priorities, including golf courses, sooner than we may believe. Perhaps feedlots and pork production will change dramatically, as urban power will demand air and water quality standards regulated by "their" environmental standards. Beef genetics are now available that grass finish, although more slowly than corn/grain. If the paradigm shift, implicit in your question, raises the bench mark for corn,beans, etc., the development of bio-engineered plants and food animals should also accelerate, although urban paranoia may inhibit this science. Soaring health care costs should be friendly to nutri-ceuticals, but their acceptance is also political.

Apparently this world is overpopulated by a couple billion. While this info surprised me, it makes more sense if we differentiate between demand and affordable demand. While we portray ourselves as humanitarians, the worlds' starving are no longer "news". Also, in todays urban society, the pressure of maintaining an "expected" standard of living, with its associated costs, keeps most families busy and focussed on preserving their cash flow. After all S.C., even car washes require money! So where will this lead us? My opinion (today), is that we should strive to produce products that are increasingly upmarket, i.e. differentiation. This is where most consumers will spend more money because of real or perceived value. If we can raise the profitability of farming to a comparable level of our suppliers, we can become much more "visibly" benevolent, and, I would hope, demand that aid to third world citizens be actual food and clothing, not money for arms and corruption.

I understand there is still some demand for blubber, albeit rather small, and we have more horses in North America today than when they were used as bio-fuelled power. Probably alot of buggy whips also.....talk about moving up-market!......Bill
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)