AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Acres & Stuff
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 2/18/2008 23:43 (#313422 - in reply to #312973)
Subject: RE: Acres & Stuff - second crop beans into wheat

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Ray,

I think another factor which will possibly bring a few more beans to market is the interest in growing second crop beans into wheat stubble. I had a lot of interest in planter configurations (Coulter combo + Curvetine closing wheels) to plant beans into wheat right behind the combine at the Louisville show this past week.

This is limited to areas basically to the south of I-70 but is one of many things that make economic sense when prices get high enough. Even 35 bu second crop beans can make some money at current prices. Especially when following a $10 wheat crop.

There are also lots of newer techniques and genetics bringing corn into areas not usually considered corn country. North Dakota harvested more bu of corn than wheat in 2007!

I am an engineer, not a marketing person. It is suggested there will be more "volatility" in prices. I believe that, especially in markets such as we have which are difficult for you professionals let alone the grower who is working on his planter rather than following the markets, a reasonable marketing approach for the producer himself is still to sell small portions (couple percent?) of his crop each week, same time same day, regardless of prices/directions until he hits what can be a "minimum" production number (maybe 2/3 or 1/2 of his average?) depending on his area. jmho.

Very thoughtful discussion. Thank you. 

Jim at Dawn   

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)