AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

dewormers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 9/26/2008 03:58 (#469609 - in reply to #469282)
Subject: RE: dewormers

Yes, that's one of the things I wish I would have learned 20 years ago to do. At this point in life it's easier for me to pay to have it done. Belive me I do know that everything you can do for yourself is going to make you more money in your pocket. I'm a damm good welder / repairman, plumber, electrical , etc. But I don't have all the time in the day to do it all.

I've even have to hire some of my welding jobs out, because I just don't have time to do everything. I would hope that the next generation to take this ranch/farm over can bring those other skills to the table.

Case in point, we have to pull on a avg. two submerisable pumps a month to replace pipe or pumps for stock water. I could justfiy a used derrick rig to pull them. But then what about the warr. on pumps. Unless I have a dealership on pumps and controls. Where would I be? My pumpman has all the pumps we need on hand 24/7. From 1/2 hp. to 7 1/2 hp. pumps. I couldn't start to stock those, plus the warr. starts the day they are retailed sold.

I have a friend that has a big potato farm, he raises the best spuds from Can. to AZ. in my opinion and others. I can drive to his place and buy all of them for 7 dollars a bag. I could never get to raising them like him, he leaves the milk and beef thing to me. We trade products all the time.

I ghess I got a little off subject, I do most of all my own vet work other than c-sect. preg. check cows, semen check bulls. I haven't had to have a c-section in over ten years. I won't lie, I've had a couple of calfs I just couldn't get flipped to pull them. So I loaded them up drove them to town for vet to do, I had to laugh at one of the younger vets working there, he said why the hell you bring that heifer to me? If you can't pull it what makes you think I can?

A little secret here is just the ride to town for 40-50 miles will make the cow work that calf around so you can pull it easier. I've pulled into the clinic, unloaded cow and vet will have the calf out and cow loaded back up in less than 15-20 minutes. I will have worked on that cow for over a hour or more, and the ride into town the vet has in done in less than 15 minutes.

Edited by Russ In Idaho 9/26/2008 04:00
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)