AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

PETA at it again
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Pat H
Posted 1/19/2009 23:30 (#577023 - in reply to #576831)
Subject: Re: PETA at it again

cropsey, il 61731
I'm not sure supporting peta is a good idea - it's not the slaughter they are worried about - they don't want anyone to eat meat. Also, what is humane? Animals in the wild typically get eaten or starve to death - not great, but that's nature. We have to get over ourselves and recongize that humans are different than animals. We like meat so we raise it kill it and eat it certainly in more humane ways than nature (ie. pigs enjoy the controlled climate of my barns vs. snow, cold and hungry predators).

On the slaughter side, it's a bit stinky, but I think most packers have found that the more 'gentle' they can put the animal down, the better the meat. Lots of places use CO or CO2 (I cant remember which) to kill before bleeding them out. The whole gun shot or electric stunner can cause toughness and taste issues - apparently not enough to change the practice for a while. You have to keep in mind that the meat industry is very consumer conscious (pretty much directly marketed w/little processing). If they think they can add value by a process change they will. We've gone from lean horses back to fatter pigs in just 5 years - apparently ultra lean pork isn't so tastey.

Thanks,

Pat
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)