AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cheap Feed
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Dumb Farmer
Posted 1/21/2009 08:00 (#578669 - in reply to #578431)
Subject: I'd say it's a here/there thing.............

East Palestine, Ohio (Columbiana Co.)
No plastic post that Ive seen or any step in post for that matter,would work on the ground where my cattle were pastured. Lot of places the hard pan starts on top of the ground, and under that was shale.........and that was the good side. The other pasture was graded strip mine, couldn't really call it re-claim. Did I mention the rocks? Went thru the lighter grade posts pretty quick till found something heavy enough to stand up to conditions "here". The insulators with the screw on back made by Dare will just fit on the 1/2" steel. As far as grounding problems I had fencers that were rated for 200 miles of fence and the most that was ever on it was 2 mi., usually less than that. If the wire wasn't broke, it would still shock thru. The cows respected the fence. After those fencers were put on, the only time I had problems was when the deer broke the wire completely, which was usually first few days after the fence was moved, once they knew it was there they would jump over it, most of the time. I carried a pair of vise grips or channel locks with me to pull the posts out as probably 10 mos. of the year the ground was either dry and tight or frozen, and the posts would need a twist to pull them out.

I'd say it comes down to what ever works for you.............The Dumb Farmer
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)