AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dairy program
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 1/25/2009 20:24 (#584279 - in reply to #584198)
Subject: RE: Dairy program

This is a double edged sword for me, because I'm a dairymen, cow/calf producer. I'm a NCBA, ICA, and also a IDA member. I don't want to see dairy buyout from the Gov. What I would like to see is true supply and demand control the market. But it will never happen because we've got people trading futures contracts that are not involved in the dairy industry nor cattle. They are the one screwing with the market. I would just once like to be able to set my price for my product just like a car manufacture or a restaurant, etc.

Andy Groseta needs to wake up, the livestock industry does get subsidized by the government thru NAP, LCP, CRP, WHIP, CSP programs. Most all livestock producers are land owners, and they got money from these programs. It's only been the last few years a livestock based farm with no land was able to get money on a LCP program not really tied to the land only cattle. It was just a few years ago, I got feed on a feed program for my beef animals, that gave me expired powder milk to feed my cattle, but I couldn't use in a dairy ration.

Since the start of the CWT dairy buyout they have taken 276,000 animals out of production, provided export assistance to move 186 million pounds of cheese, butter, and non fat dry milk, with a combined milk equivalent of 9.3 billion pounds of milk. I can't honestly say they have improved my mail box price on my milk in that time. Nor do I feel at any time those cull cows have hurt my cull beef prices.

But what I will tell you is, the packers are using this dairy buyout thing right now to lower your price for culls. That was the excuse given to me 2-3 weeks ago for lower prices on killer cows, I told the auction house owner this is pure hogwash!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)