AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dairy Cow Buyout
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

jackND
Posted 1/31/2009 13:16 (#591332 - in reply to #589800)
Subject: RE: Dairy Cow Buyout

Russ; Well to let you know that I'm not anti-dairy, I was born and raised on a dairy farm. In fact my bro and Dad still milk cows. I'm the black sheep of the family that's been in the dairy business for over 60 years. I went into the beef business at the age of 12 because I thought God made calves to suck those cows. Now I lived through the last Gov dairy buyout in the late 70's or early 80's. A bad dream that I wish to forget. As now, the amount of cows to hit the market wasn't the deciding factor in low cow prices. It was the perception of a wave of cattle to hit the market. Anybody who has been in this business awhile knows that perceptions and panic can be devastating to the beef market. ie the Mad Cow scare of DEC 2003. The industry buy out that's been going on the last few years has been managed pretty well. Few know it even exists. And in a period when the markets for beef is turning soft, a little rumor placed right can cause a run on the bank. 36 years in this beef business and hoping to be here another 20 if I'm lucky.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)