AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Superior Livestock Auction
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 2/26/2009 23:02 (#624477 - in reply to #623260)
Subject: RE: My thoughts

I've been selling on Superior since the second year they were in business, I'm thinking that was 1989. They have never backed out of a contract. You want a rep. that makes their living from marketing cattle. Not just a part time rep. You need to feel comfortable with them. If you don't like them, switch reps. A few points, don't sell spilt loads (heifers/steers) the buyers kill you on them. List your genetics if you are buying high powered bulls/ A.I. , etc. that helps you. Also don't be afraid to go to the sale in what ever town it's in. Your rep. will most likely get you a room at the hotel if you ask them. With you being there, if there is any questions about your program you can answer them, helps to put a face with a name.

It's also a plus if you can fit your vac. program to fit Superior's vac. ( vac. 34, 45, etc.) Don't be afraid to call Richard Stober the general manager of Superior, if you have any questions or problems with a rep. I just had dinner with him last week here in Utah. Very down to earth guy, and willing to listen to your input, and try to implement changes. Last year as bad as the cattle deal got, only one pot load of cattle got dumped on superior( a buyer refused to take delivery of them). Superior bought the cattle and paid the producer from them. That's says a lot for the integrity of cattlemen in the U.S.

The only real heartache with Superior is they took the 10 lb. leeway on base weight away from us. Believe me I let Richard know my feelings on it. We might see a change on it in the future. The average seller on Superior is around 250 hd. operation., So they are still for the small rancher.

If you don't have enough cattle to fill a contract, see if you can pool with neighbors, with like cattle to make a load. I sell in two pools, it works great. It saves me trucking cattle over 150 miles just to sell as one group. If your rep. isn't comfortable in pooling, get a hold of me, and I can give names of people to help them work thru it.

There is a lot of Internet cattle sale deals Blue Barn, Team, etc. Video there is Northern, Western, etc. But I still feel Superior is the biggest and best right now. The best thing I like about Superior is the rep. is the one sorting my cattle, not the buyer. We do have one buyer that has bought our cattle for over 9 years now, he sends his man to watch cattle being sorted, but his is not allowed in the corral. Final say comes from the Superior rep. That's the way it should be. The buyers rep. is mainly there to make sure they don't over load trucks, he is very fussy about how the cattle are handled.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)