AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Spreading red clover on pasture
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 2/27/2009 23:31 (#625859 - in reply to #625829)
Subject: RE: Drilled red clover into grass pasture (pics)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I was very pleased with the way the stand turned out last year with the drill following two disappointing years with other overseeding methods.

As far as how long the stand will last, I have no idea. There is a big difference in the life expectancy of different red clover seed varieties. Some are basically one year others are supposed to stick around.

The supposedly longer life varieties are pretty expensive seed but if they can produce a stand like this for a couple years it may be worthwhile. A key to success I am told is to have the soil pH up where clover likes it. Probably not graze it too short also.

As long as I was going to this trouble I also put a "pasture mix" down in the main seed box while seeding the clover out of the small seed box. The other varieties were not as obvious as the clover in August but I hope to see them help the stand this spring and beyond.

Folks tell me I should let the clover go to seed to extend the stand life but I don't see that happening. I tend to graze it from 8-9" down to 3-4" a couple times a year since I need the feed.

Jim at Dawn

edit: Yes I plan to rent the drill and interseed different areas/pastures just like this every couple years or so.  I'm interested in seeing how a couple years of rotational grazing affects the pastures/stands. So far I would say the grass generally looks/produces better than before.

Pokey: sorry I have no idea what the variety is - just bought the stuff that was supposed to be longer life and acclimated for my area of WI (clay and rock).  I have to trust my seed dealer is handling locally adapted high germ seed. My "test plots" in this case were actually useful!

Edited by Jim 2/27/2009 23:53
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)