AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn silage question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

silagehauler
Posted 2/28/2009 18:00 (#626665 - in reply to #626485)
Subject: Re: Corn silage question

I would think in your area of the country you could do better than 12 tons per acre of silage, maybe closer to 16-18 tons/acre.

As far as lbs/day per cow, thats up to you. But I would start at around 35 to 45 wet lbs/head and add some crop residue, such as corn stalks, or since you are in cotton country maybe cotton burrs would be the way to go. At 40 lbs/head you would need about 12 tons every day your cows are on feed, so about 1 to 1.5 acres of corn for every day you want to feed. May also want to consider a sorghum or sudex crop for silage, less input then corn and still have some tons to it. Or you could even double crop triticale as a winter crop and corn or sorghum as a spring crop. I would think in your part of the world you could do that pretty handily as far as growing season in concerned, but not sure what your rainfall is like.

As for bags, Mom and Dad bagged all there silage for there small dairy up until a few years ago. Always worked really good for us. Usaully put up about 60 or 70 acres of irrigated corn silage every year, all into bags.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)