AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fencing Advice
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 3/5/2009 00:05 (#632159 - in reply to #631837)
Subject: RE: Fencing Advice

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I've been doing some fencing over the past few years. While I not an expert it seems to me the "best" fence depends partially on your terrain. A lot of folks talk about "hi tensile" but my fences seem to go up and down a lot - stretching hi tensile that tight just seems to cause problems.

I like a 5 wire fence w four 12 ga red barb on 6.5 ft steel T 's with a wood post every fifth post. This helps on hills. The middle wire of the 5 is smooth 12 ga and electrified. This is the "insurance" wire. This also gives you a good hot perimeter wire to serve as the supply wire for cross fences used in a rotational grazing system. Use good insulated wire in an old piece of garden hose buried under gates. Use screw type electrical connections not just twisted wires.

The cattle can smell the electrified middle wire and just don't push on the fence. With the cost of any fencing project these days, you certainly don't want 1500 lb cows pushing on it if they see some green grass on the other side.

Yet the barb wire provides a physical barrier when the power goes off. Use a charger that leaves about 8 kv on the wire and they just stand back. I wouldn't worry about the calves and the electric. W 4 wires calves will go under or through it. Using "Gripples" to tighten the fence wires and brace wires makes it simpler for a fencing novice, especially if you are working by yourself much of the time. Make good braced corners with pins.

I actually enjoy fencing projects. Found it makes sense to have a pro come in with an auger on a skid steer to dig the holes for the wood posts. For better or worse I throw a bag of dry sacrete (sp?) in the bottom of the wood post holes. jmho. Good luck.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 3/5/2009 11:21
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)